John D. Boyer, M.D.
Dr. John Boyer is a native of Coronado, California and graduated cum laude from Occidental College. Dr. Boyer earned his medical doctorate from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, and received his resident training in dermatology at the National Naval Medical Center.
In 2000, Dr. Boyer completed his Mohs College approved fellowship training in Mohs Micrographic, Cutaneous Oncology, and Facial Plastic Reconstruction at the University of Pittsburgh under the direction of Dr. John A. Zitelli, and Dr. David G. Brodland.
Following fellowship training, Dr. Boyer was appointed Chief of Dermatological Surgery at the National Naval Medical Center, and Dermatology Consultant to the U.S. Office of the Attending Physician, where he served members of the Executive Branch, U.S. Congress, and U.S. Supreme Court. For his role as instructor in the dermatological surgery residency program at the National Naval Medical Center, Dr. Boyer was named Outstanding Dermatology Faculty Member by the National Consortium Dermatology Residency Program.
Dr. Boyer is board certified in dermatology and is a fellow of the American College of Mohs Surgery. He has authored several publications in cutaneous oncology and has lectured at national dermatology meetings.
He has been in private practice since 2002, and is an Associate Professor at the University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine. Dr. Boyer is an active member and former president of the Hawaii Dermatological Society, and has been named one of Honolulu Magazine’s Best Doctors. He has performed over twenty thousand Mohs procedures.
Dr. Boyer’s U.S. Naval service has included aeromedical training and basic flight training in Pensacola, FL, where he graduated as a U.S. Naval Flight Surgeon. He is a veteran of Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm, and served in Masirah, Oman, Diego Garcia, and Misawa, Japan.
- Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Board Certified by the American Board of Dermatology
- Graduate of Uniformed Service School of the Health Sciences, Bethesda Maryland, 1987
- Residency Training
- Internship, transitional, Balboa Naval Hospital, San Diego, California, 1988
- Dermatology, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, 1995
- Heath Care Participation
Dr. Boyer participates with most Hawaii health care plans including HMOs, PPOs, VA, and TRICARE
- Medicare Participation
Dr. Boyer participates in Medicare
- CME Recognition Award
- Appointed Dermatology Consultant Office of the Attending Physician U.S. Capitol service members of the Executive Branch, U.S. Congress, and U.S. Supreme Court, 2000-2
- Outstanding Dermatology Faculty Member, National Consortium Dermatology Residency Program (Walter Reed Army Medical Center & National Naval Medical Center) 2002
- President, Hawaii Dermatological Society, 2007
- Honolulu Best Doctors
- Queens Medical Center
- Castle Medical Center